Pick up your holds in the Main Library Lobby. Place SWAN holds, make interlibrary loan requests, and return materials anytime to any Oak Park book drop. Questions about individual items? Please contact us. Read more about our approach to put people and safety first.
Below are current schedules.
Contact-free holds pickup
Mondays-Thursdays: 2-6 pm
Fridays: 10 am-2 pm
Saturdays: 10 am-6 pm
Sundays: 2-6 pm
Virtual customer support & chat
Mondays-Thursdays: 9 am-9 pm
Fridays: 9 am-6 pm
Saturdays 10 am-6 pm
Sundays: 1-6 pm
- Visit oppl.org/contact »
- Call 708.383.8200 and leave a message; we will return your call as soon as possible.
- Use our live chat service. Start a session by clicking the icon in the bottom right corner of oppl.org between 9 am-9 pm Mondays-Thursdays; 9 am-6 pm Fridays; 10 am-6 pm Saturdays; and 1-6 pm Sundays.
Also available now
- Place holds on materials from other SWAN libraries. Log in now »
- Borrow hotspots, Chromebooks, laptops, and iPads for at-home use »
- Make an interlibrary loan request, request a purchase »
- Print from anywhere and pick up at the library. Let’s get started »
- Request Home Delivery, now expanded! Learn more »
- Rent a virtual meeting space. Let’s get started »
- Keep using your digital library and attending virtual programs »
- Get remote staff support via email, phone, and live chat »
Next: Monday, March 1 to bring expanded hours & more
We’re eager to reopen all Main Library floors on Monday, March 1, for safe materials browsing, and we’re pleased to introduce more improvements to enhance your in-person library experience.
New! As of Monday, March 1
- Visit the Main Library Mondays through Saturdays, 10 am-6 pm (parking garage closes at 6:15 pm).
- Live chat hours change to match the above open days and hours. Look for the icon at the bottom right of your screen to start a session.
- Safely browse items on all floors (masks on, under one hour). More about keeping each other safe »
- Experience better browsing on second and third floors, the result of a big collection shift (read more below).
- Use third-floor public computers by reservation (call ahead to 708.697.6942).
- Local educators can request materials and artifacts for delivery and pickup. Learn more »
- You can request to pick up your items in a self-service locker. Ask anytime »
What to know before your visit
- Building capacity will be set at 120 total, 40 people per floor; real-time capacity will be displayed once again on the library website and on a large screen in the lobby.
- Visitors must wear masks correctly (covering nose and mouth) to enter and to remain in the building.
- Seating, study rooms, and meeting rooms are unavailable.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Visits should be under one hour.
- Read more about our approach to put people and safety first »
Where to go for your holds
- From Monday, March 1 through Saturday, March 6
- Did you receive a “Checkout Receipt?” Go to the lobby, know your items are already checked out.
- Did you receive a hold notification that says “Materials Have Arrived?” Go to the second floor, self-checkout your items.
- Beginning Monday, March 8, all holds will be on the second floor.
New! DVDs shifted on second floor; large type, magazines moved to third floor
“We are always evaluating how the community is using materials,” said Materials Services Manager Barbara Fitzgerald. “When sections of the library were closed to browsing because of the pandemic earlier this year, we took a very close look at how to make specific improvements.”
As a result, during February about 58,000 items were reorganized, which is about 1,000 shelves or 25% of the total physical collection. The results maximize use of current shelf and floor space and are intended to offer everyone a better in-person browsing experience.
Here’s what materials have moved where:
|AS OF MONDAY, MARCH 1|
|New materials on the third floor|
Large type (where Recently Returned Nonfiction used to be)
Print magazines (check out the expanded digital collection; print newspapers remain unavailable)
|Changes on the second floor|
DVDs moved to stacks in the middle of the second floor
Space created for teens
New! Use your phone to self-checkout from anywhere in the library
Related, a pilot meeScan desktop self-check station has been installed directly behind the second-floor service desk. It works very similarly to the app. You enter your library card number, scan the item’s library barcode, hear a “beep!” and checkout is completed. You automatically receive an email receipt (if you have this notification turned on in your SWAN account). Learn more about changing SWAN notifications »
New! Locker pickup by request
To provide a new convenient pickup and return option with no in-person contact we have invested in two sets of lockers at the Main Library. The indoor set of 17 is located in the lobby under the stairwell. The outdoor set of 35 will be located to the right of the main entrance. If you are interested in using a locker for your materials, please contact us. You will then be notified directly if your items are placed in lockers for pickup. You also will be provided detailed instructions on how to unlock and return items.